EN 466 LITERARY THEORY
STUDY QUESTIONS FOR "RHETORIC AND READER RESPONSE"
- What is the historical status of rhetoric? What are some examples of its broad
- What is the instrumental conception of rhetoric? What is the experiential conception?
- Where does Eagleton situate rhetoric? How does this situation make style an ideological
- What is the sociological view of rhetoric (what is the difference between
instrumentality and functionalism)?
- According to Walter Ong, what is the difference between oral and written literature?
The Rhetoric of Reader Response
- What is the common denominator of literary studies after New Criticism?
- What did Aristotle mean by catharsis? What did Coleridge mean by "esemplastic
- What is phenomenology? What is a gestalt?
- How does George Poulet define the phenomenon of "otherness"?
- How are phenomenology and formalism alike/unlike?
- What does Heidegger mean by "dasein"?
- What does Jauss mean by "horizon of expectation"?
- What does Wofgang Iser mean by "narrative gaps"?
- What is "subjective criticism"?
- What does the concept of an "interpretative community" accomplish? What are
- What is the structuralist conception of the "literary fact"?
- Who is the "resisting reader"?
What is "rhyzomic logic"?
Back to Previous Page