Class Presentations & Handouts (ALL weeks)
By Week: Wk1 Wk2 Wk3 Wk4 Wk5 Wk6 Wk7
Architecture Info (Articles/Tutorials/Reference Books)
Computer Organization and Architecture:
Guidebook: Introduces machine architecture through the traditional Von Neumann architectural schemes. Features traditional register-to-register transfer logic, ALU design, and BUS architectures. Examines hamming codes, disk drive performance analysis, virtual storage and cache memory, pipelining, micro-code and bit-slicing. Examines several systolic architectures and their corresponding parallel processing environments.
Default Regis Undergraduate Course Syllabi (password protected) CS440 syllabus located under Computer Science
Powerpoint Viewer (free download)
Decimal, Binary, Octal, and Hex Numbering Systems (.ppt, 197k)
Math and Logical Binary Operations (.ppt, 136k)
Signed and Floating Point Number Representation (.ppt, 413k)
Booth's Algorithm (.ppt, 72k)
Extra Practice Worksheet for Week 1 (.doc, 56k)
Online Architecture Articles/ Tutorials:
general: Chip Geek
WWW Computer Architecture Page
IT World: Computer Architecture
Programmed Intro to MIPS Assembly Language
weeks 1-3: Digital Circuit concepts
week 5: Tutorial: Pipelining
week 6: Tutorial: Memory Hierarchy (Caches)
week 7: Computer Architecture: What is a Bus?
Patterson, D. A. & Hennessy, J. L. (2013). Computer Organization and Design: the Hardware /Software Interface, (5th Ed.). Morgan Kaufmann Publishers. ISBN-13: 978-0124077263, ISBN-10: 0124077269. (Order at the Regis Bookstore at Follett Online Bookstore)
Optional Reference Books:
1. Carter, N. (2001). Schaum's Outline of Computer Architecture. McGraw-Hill Trade. ISBN: 007136207X.
2. Comer, D. (2004). Essentials of Computer Architecture. Prentice Hall. ISBN: 0131491792.
3. Harris, D. & Harris, S. (2012). Digital Design and Computer Architecture (2nd ed.). Morgan Kaufmann. ISBN-10: 0123944244.
4. Murdocca, M. & Heuring, V. (2007). Computer Architecture and Organization: An Integrated Approach. Wiley. ISBN: 0471733881.
5. Null, L. & Lobur, J. (2014). The Essentials of Computer Organization and Architecture (4th ed.). Jones & Bartlett Publishers. ISBN-10: 1284045617.
6. Stallings, W. (2015). Computer Organization and Architecture: Designing for Performance (10th ed.). Prentice Hall. ISBN-10: 0134101618.
7. Warford, J. S. Computer Systems (4th ed.). Jones and Bartlett Publishers: 2009. ISBN: 0763771449.