- Syllabus: Spring, 2007
- Writing Guidelines: Dr. Leininger
- CK Introduction: the Phenomenological Method (Introduction)
- CK 1: Defining Religion
CK 2: the Nature of the Sacred
CK 3: the Appearance of the Sacred
CK 4: the Language(s) of the Sacred
- CK 5: Ritual
CK 6: Sacred Communities
- CK 7: the Problem of Evil
CK 8 & Leininger: Religion and Morality
- CK 9: the Quest for Salvation
- Alston on the Concept of Religion
- Buddhism: Story of Buddha, 4 Noble Truths, and Terms
- Exam 1 Review: CK 2-4, Buddhism, and Siddhartha
- From Jesus to Christ Viewing Questions
- Jesus Before Christianity Reading Questions
- Exam Topics for Nolan
- Nolan: Religious-Political Options at the Time of Jesus
Nolan: Reign of God vs. Anti-Reign
- Sample Paper Approach
Readings on Electronic Reserve
Files can be downloaded from the library's web site; must use the course password [rs200] for access.
Search for RS 200 or by instructor name
Alston, William P., "Religion." In Encyclopedia of Philosophy, ed. Paul Edwards, Vol. 7, 140-145. New York: MacMillan Pub. Co., 1972. LINK TO E-Reserve at DML for RS 200 Leininger
The Life of Gotama Buddha from The Acts of the Buddha, by Ashvaghosha. LINK to E-Reserve at DML for RS 200 Leininger
- Fr. Adolfo Nicolas, S.J.: 1-25-08 Reflections on Experiences in Japan
Thich Nhat Hanh, "What I would say to Osama bin Laden"
- Malcolm X, "Letter from Mecca," April, 1964
- Malcolm X, December, 1964 Speech to Peace Corps
- Text from Burning Monk -- The Self-Immolation
Islam: Opposing viewpoints
Robert A. Krieg, "Who Do You Say I Am?"
Terrence Tilley, "Why We Need Both Stories."
Sarah Coakley, "Easier Said Than Defined."
- John Callahan, "Jesuits
and Jesuit Education"
- Encyclopedia of Religion
Dr. Hamdy's list of resources on Islam
- Oremus Bible Browser (New Revised Standard Version
- Meanings of "Om"
Regis College Writing Center
For more detail on citation styles, see the Writer's Handbook of the Writing Center at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Jewish Texts
- Dr. Kloos' Powerpoint on SQ3: The Appearance of the Sacred
- Essay 1: The Sacred in Dubus or Reilly
- Essay 2: Islam and Violence or Islam and Women
Sample Student Work
- Essay to Replace a Quiz: Mystical Experience through Prayer and Suffering
- Directions to Buddhist Temple
- World Wide Religious News(lists world wide religion news by continent)
- PBS Religion and Ethics Newsweekly
NPR.org: Experiencing Other Faiths to Find One's Own"
NPR.org: "Teens and Religion" Talk of the Nation
- This American Life (Chicago Public Radio): "Shouting Across the Divide
- NPR.org: Interview with Reza Aslan author of No God but God: The Origins, Evolution and Future of Islam
Catholicism and the Modern World Lecture Information
Back to Home Page